PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt 700r4.. What's my problem?

Skuanto
01-23-2011, 11:46 PM
I bought 85 k5 with blown tranny that didn't go into reverse.. So I take it to get rebuilt.. A Month later he tells me that the tranny has a whole bunch of broken parts inside so I go n take a look and he wasn't lying.. All in all the internals were fucked.. So he gets a 700r4 from a 1990 suburban(he said it would bolt right in) and "rebuilds" that. I get it back 2 weeks later and I'm all excited to finally put it In after almost 2 months..(wrench wrench wrench) shazaam! It's In and I turn it on. Everything is good I adjust the carb a bit check my oils and everything is crisp. I let it warm up and hop in with a big ass smile on my face ready to take it to the street. I shift into reverse( shifted like it was supposed to) to back out and lOok back to make sure I don't hit nothing and back off of brake and NOTHING. I step on gas and.. NOTHING. I'm like WTF! so I put it in every gear, 4hi, 4low, everything and still NOTHING.
The symptoms are these. The car does move like half a mph but when the gas pedal is fully depressed and rpm is screaming. Could it be the tranni pump? Torque converter? He said he fully rebuilt it an looked over the pump and looked gOod. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS WRONG OR HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM ANY INSIGHT IS HELPFUL and I just wanna know whats wrong before I go and release my anger on this dude cuz this is just bullshit all around. Maybe I hooked it up wrong or something. If I did I'll beat my own ass but I need to know forsure before I take any actions. I'm looking for a reputable tranny shop around here in Birmingham if anyone knows of one..
Like I said any info help advice prayers are greatly appreciated
Thanks In Advance

Skuanto

trav0302
01-23-2011, 11:57 PM
sounds like a torque converter problem but i'd check the tranny fluid first.

shovelhead77
01-23-2011, 11:58 PM
im sure you already checked the fluid check for obvios things does it have a detent cable also known as passing gear cable check adjustment on it im not much of a tranny guy just trying to throw some stuff out there

topprolmc
01-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Check tranny fliud level.
Check TV cable adjustment.
Check Torque convertor bolts

sevenn07
01-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Are your linkages all hooked up and in the correct adjustment?

trav0302
01-24-2011, 12:05 AM

X2 :qtip:

b~lazer
01-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Ditch the 700r4?

Skuanto
01-25-2011, 12:18 AM
sounds like a torque converter problem but i'd check the tranny fluid first.

im sure you already checked the fluid check for obvios things does it have a detent cable also known as passing gear cable check adjustment on it im not much of a tranny guy just trying to throw some stuff out there

Are your linkages all hooked up and in the correct adjustment?

X2 :qtip:

tranny fluid is good but im hearing that when putting on a transmission the torque converter needs to be turned clockwise like 3 clicks or something like that and if you dont do that then then the converter wont put any pressure on the pump causing the symptoms of my problem.. when i put it in i didnt turn it clockwise but did bolt on nice and evenly so can maybe this be my problem??

also my passing gear cable is adjusted right to my knowledge.. i pressed button on carb end that winds or retracts cable back and connected it to carb and pressed gas pedal all the way down? is this correct adjustment?

My linkage is correct because all the way up it goes into park
one down goes into reverse
another down goes into neutral
3 down goes into drive, etc. so linkage is correct right?

Went to shop and its $1,200 for another rebuild and im starting to feel like this is more of a burden then a project. So i was thinking of maybe going with a th350 or th400 since i hear they are cheaper to rebuild. any opinions on this or should i just stick to my 700r4

Skuanto
01-25-2011, 12:19 AM

when you say check torque converter bolts you mean the 3 that connect through the flywheel right?

topprolmc
01-25-2011, 02:43 AM
Yes.

Also, how did you check your fluid?
It shoulda taken a whole lot when you first filled it, and then after starting it, put it through all gears WITHOUT moving and then check it again.

shovelhead77
01-25-2011, 02:58 AM
if you didn't have the torque all the way in it would have hit the flywheel befor the bellhousing was closed up and if that is the case your pump is prob. toast a good way t check if its all they way in before you bolt the torque to the flywheel try to put your finger behind the torque if you cant get your finger in there its all the way in

Skuanto
01-25-2011, 05:16 AM
yup it took a whole lot at first and ran it through all gears checked it again added 2 more quarts checked in neutral and it was cherry after the 2 quarts. but still is not giving me power at the wheels VERY minimal.. im starting to think the guy that rebuilt it didnt change the torque converter on the new tranny or the pump.. or maybe i installed it wrong??

Skuanto
01-25-2011, 05:20 AM
if you didn't have the torque all the way in it would have hit the flywheel befor the bellhousing was closed up and if that is the case your pump is prob. toast a good way t check if its all they way in before you bolt the torque to the flywheel try to put your finger behind the torque if you cant get your finger in there its all the way in

okay the guy told me the same about the finger behind the converter test and everything you mentioned is what i did.. im starting to think this dude fucked me over..

whitetailslayer
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Put a gauge on it & check the pump pressure. There is an 1/8" pipe plug on the upper driver side of the pump that needs to be pulled so that the gauge can be connected. Pressure should be no less than 120psi at idle. If your old tranny was as bad as you said, your tranny cooler could be plugged and may have contaminated your new tranny too.

ALSO, I have seen a fresh tranny go south almost instantly from the engine/tranny not being correctly grounded. I know that sounds improbable but it caused the pump to gall as the current "searched" for a ground which, in this case, was through the shifter as far as we could tell. That would be extremely unusual but worth checking.

Skuanto
01-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Put a gauge on it & check the pump pressure. There is an 1/8" pipe plug on the upper driver side of the pump that needs to be pulled so that the gauge can be connected. Pressure should be no less than 120psi at idle. If your old tranny was as bad as you said, your tranny cooler could be plugged and may have contaminated your new tranny too.

ALSO, I have seen a fresh tranny go south almost instantly from the engine/tranny not being correctly grounded. I know that sounds improbable but it caused the pump to gall as the current "searched" for a ground which, in this case, was through the shifter as far as we could tell. That would be extremely unusual but worth checking.

cool ill have to do that asap n let you know the results.. thanks

70-K5
01-25-2011, 08:59 PM
My two cents here.

First off an automatic transmission connects to a flex-plate. A flywheel is used with a manual transmission.

Second, it is not a passing gear, detent or kickdown...
It is a TV cable. The 700R4 needs to have a constant reference as to where the throttle is at all times. Your problem does not sound anything like a cable adjustment and the method you used to adjust is correct.

To me it sounds like you took your transmission to the wrong guy. From what I have learned a typical mechanic can rebuild a TH350 or 400 without much trouble but a 700 is very difficult to repair correctly and should only be done by a good 'transmission' guy.

Another item to think about would be the valve body... If you have good pressure from your pump it may just be that the pressure isn't being directed to the right places.

Skuanto
01-30-2011, 06:59 AM
sooooo it turned out that my torque converter was fucked.. put a new heavy duty one that cost me some money but i just needed my baby running already..
once again thanks for everyones input and help

muddyK5
02-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Hey my 700R4 was the first and only tranny I ever rebuilt.. Easy as hell. kinda like rebuilding a bunch of brake pistons.. sorta like that..

I did think ahead before I rebuilt mine tho.. bought new sun gear, pump, shifting servo's etc.. I also put in a few mods like smaller 3-4 servo.. instead of a bigger one.. bigger ones take a lot of fluid to fill and take longer to fill. and alos lower pressure within.
A smaller servo fills fast as hell takes a second to fill and the smaller size really locks down onto the bands.