PDA

View Full Version : Factory Gauge Harness Wiring Diagram

70-K5
03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Using your factory wiring can be a simple way to get a signal to your new gauge without running wires into your engine compartment. After you take out the instrument panel you will see the rectangular harness has numbers located at each wire.

By following the printed circuit very carefully I came up with the following identification and explanation of each wires function.

The first list is from an 86 K5.

1. Brights
2. Gauge lights
3. Volts
4. Volts
5. Oil Pressure
6. Keyed ignition
7. Clock
8. Clock
9. Water Temp
10. Ground
11. Left turn signal
12. Right turn signal
13. Seat Belt
14. 4wd
15. Choke
16. Acc power
17. Brake
18. Fuel gauge

It has come to our attention that this is not universal, MrK5 traced the harness for an 84 CUCV, he came up with:

1. Bright indicator
2. Dash illumination lights
3. Oil Pressure low light
4. 4x4 indicator
5. Ground for dash lights on the left
6. Alternator #2 (truck had 2 alternators)
7. Also goes to Alternator #2 - ground maybe
8. Alternator #1
9. Ground for lights
10. Left turn indicator
11. Right turn indicator
12. Ground
13. Light below speedo, left side - mine had no bulb installed
14. Light below speedo, right side - mine had no bulb installed
15. Light below fuel level, left side - coolant temp warning
16. Also light below fuel level, left side
17. Light below fuel level, right side - Low Coolant
18. Fuel Gauge

The only two that we came up with that are the same are #1, #2 and #18.

Found this in reference to my plug as it was a CUCV military blazer:

http://www.cucvelectric.com/dashplugtwo.jpg

MrK5
06-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Man this is AWESOME! You just saved me a lot of work! Thank you very much! :D

MrK5
06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Just had a thought. My truck had just a panic light for the oil pressure. Do you suppose it is the same position on the plug whether it is a gauge or a light? Because I think you only get one or the other from the factory so it would make sense it's the same number either way.

triumphrider74
06-17-2011, 07:21 PM
:smiley32: This should be a sticky.

Ya know, so we don't lose it.

MrK5
06-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Well shoot, I went ahead and verified and mine is different. At least I know about the numbering, because that really helps. Here's how mine was laid out:

1984 Chevy K5 military CUCV M1009

Bright indicator
Dash illumination lights
Oil Pressure low light
4x4 indicator
Ground for dash lights on the left
Alternator #2 (truck had 2 alternators)
Also goes to Alternator #2 - ground maybe
Alternator #1
Ground for lights
Left turn indicator
Right turn indicator
Ground
Light below speedo, left side - mine had no bulb installed
Light below speedo, right side - mine had no bulb installed
Light below fuel level, left side - coolant temp warning
Also light below fuel level, left side
Light below fuel level, right side - Low Coolant
Fuel Gauge

70-K5
06-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Well I guess the brights, dash lights and fuel gauge are similar from 86 civilian gas to 84 CUCV...

When I wired up my custom gauges I cut the wires off that I was going to use with enough of a tail left over to identify where it came from on the harness plug, just in case I had to re-wire... I capped the unused wires and then taped around the plug so nothing could ground itself out.

MrK5
06-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Well I guess the brights, dash lights and fuel gauge are similar from 86 civilian gas to 84 CUCV...

When I wired up my custom gauges I cut the wires off that I was going to use with enough of a tail left over to identify where it came from on the harness plug, just in case I had to re-wire... I capped the unused wires and then taped around the plug so nothing could ground itself out.

Sounds like a good idea! I will do the same. :D

Do you think we should merge your first post and my numbering so people are aware there may be a difference?

70-K5
06-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Done...

MrK5
06-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Just updated the first post with better information for my plug. :D

70-K5
06-20-2011, 11:17 PM
that's Professional quality right there...

MrK5
06-21-2011, 04:15 AM
It really helped me clear up a few things as I couldn't figure out why there were apparently so many ground circuits.

KingRalph
09-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I had my dash panel out replacing all the bulbs, I had no problem unhooking speedo and the wiring plug. There was one long wire going to the top right dash light bulb that came unplugged from down under the dash panel. Now, I don't know if that's a ground or where the heck it plugs back into...I need help as soon as possible please.

whitetailslayer
09-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Very nice & helpful info fellas. Remember that the cucv setup has 2 alternators, diesel engine, & the blackout light system(kills all lights except the blackout lights). The electrical system on cucv's is also known as a "hybrid" system since both 12v & 24v circuits are present in the fuse panel. Good work guys!

whitetailslayer
09-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I had my dash panel out replacing all the bulbs, I had no problem unhooking speedo and the wiring plug. There was one long wire going to the top right dash light bulb that came unplugged from down under the dash panel. Now, I don't know if that's a ground or where the heck it plugs back into...I need help as soon as possible please.

A under-dash courtesy lamp maybe?

KingRalph
09-18-2011, 05:18 PM

KingRalph
09-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't think so,it's like 1/8, 1/8, by 1/2 plug with a foot and a half long wire that goes right to the top right dash light socket.

muddyK5
09-18-2011, 07:24 PM
I too have that extra wire. It's been a while since I been inside the dash panel so bear with me.
Ok, its not a wire at all. It's a fiber optic cable that either lights up the ash tray or to the accessory bezel for the ac, heat and climate controls. Just look behind those units and you will see a block looking tab kinda thing. It just slides into the hole.

70-K5
09-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Correct, fiber optic cable.

bradleymichael
02-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Can I add a gauge set from a truck that had factory tach when mine didn't? If so Is there additional wiring to the Engine?

BIGGERTHANYOU
04-05-2013, 12:14 PM
ill be using this info this weekend to install my custom dash!! thanks guys!!