PDA

View Full Version : Need universal joint help badly

spectreblazer
07-27-2010, 04:01 AM
i pulled the front axle shaft driver side out today to change the u-joint. the shaft was covered in sand and the universal joint is clocking about an inch before it engages and i can see a good size split in the metal casing.

anyways i can't get that darn u-joint off the shaft. i see there is 4 clips on the inside. i took a chisel and the clips pretty much disintegrated when i hit them. i removed all 4 clips and i heard somewhere i have to remove the caps of the u-joint. how? i have a press and a vise. which one is going to work better?

any tips or words of wisdom to getting the u-joint out? diagrams? videos?

thanks

Skin-K5
07-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Way #1
Put two pieces of wood down and lay the shaft on it so when you hit the joint it punches through between the pieces of wood. Use a brass drift and a small 3# hammer and whack it good and solid.

Another way is to put it in a vise with an old socket pressed against the joint. Tighten the vise up as tight as you can then tap the shaft near the joint. It should release enough for you to revert to the first way.

This is for ford.....same thing on chevy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g76yO8p4TI0

spectreblazer
07-27-2010, 04:36 AM
allright, i've been reading some other things too, nothing chevy specific. but most of them have snap rings on the outside that hold the u-joint in. do the blazers have this? or is it just the clips on the inside?

bmpskir
07-27-2010, 04:37 AM
way 1 works best for me... my vise doesn't open wide enough...

transman
07-27-2010, 12:40 PM
it won't have both clips, it will have either inside clips or outside clips.

88k5
07-27-2010, 01:56 PM
I use a socket that is just smaller than the diameter of the cup. Place it on the ground. Then place the shaft with the cup on top off the socket. Now hold the shaft parrallel to the ground and smack the shit out of the knuckle with a BFH. Don't hit the shaft or it will dent. Hit the end (knuckle) just next to the cup. You should start to see the top cup coming out.

spectreblazer
07-28-2010, 03:14 AM
i tried again today and no luck. i beat the piss out of it with a socket, punch. etc. didn't get anywhere. would heating it up with a torch damage anything other then the bad u-joint?

bmpskir
07-28-2010, 03:34 AM
too much heat can warp the eyes on the end of the axles... if you do let it cool by itself... or spray some free all on them tonight and try again with the hammer tomorrow.. that actually worked for me...

bmpskir
07-28-2010, 03:53 AM
looking back at what skin said, I have another way... take two pieces of 6 x 6 or 8x8 and lay them on the floor - put the axle cross with each side resting on each piece of wood... then take a socket bigger than the diameter of the ujoint so it rests on the other axle cross... with one cross resting on the wood the other will be hanging there... hammer the socket into the cross so the ujoint cap slides out...

88k5
07-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Worst case scenario. You might have to take a cut off wheel. Cut the u-joints out. Then blow a whole thru the center of the cup with a torch and chisel the rest out. I have done this several times on semi trucks.
Soak them badboys overnight in some pb blaster 1st

StreetGliderX
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
do the fronts have the factory plastic poured in them? i know if that is the case you have to heat it to melt the plastic keepers out

spectreblazer
07-29-2010, 05:27 AM
do the fronts have the factory plastic poured in them? i know if that is the case you have to heat it to melt the plastic keepers out

mine weren't but im not 100% sure if they were factory or not.

well guys i beat some more on them yesterday and tried everything under the sun including weasel pee. but even that didn't cut it.

took it into work today and showed one of the mechanics and he took it back to his vice. with a sledge hammer and beat on it and the caps finally popped off. 3 of the 4 bearings were bad. i put the new u-joint in tonight and put the axle shaft back in. bolted down the brake shield. now if i can figure out these wheel bearings i'll move onto the next side....

70-K5
07-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Spectreblazer - 1
U-joint - 0

proves the rule: Get a bigger hammer!

88k5
07-29-2010, 02:42 PM
one of the mechanics and he took it back to his vice. with a sledge hammer and beat on it and the caps finally popped off. .

See, you were just affraid the give that thing a good whack. As long as you don't hit the tube you can beat the snott out of those ends and they will be fine.

spectreblazer
07-29-2010, 10:44 PM
See, you were just affraid the give that thing a good whack. As long as you don't hit the tube you can beat the snott out of those ends and they will be fine.

yeah i was worried about damaging the shaft because its hard to find them where i'm at.