Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at some axles

Enjoying Life Senior member 70-K5's Avatar
    If you've got $2,000 extra drop the D60 in.... there are plenty of capable rigs out there that do plenty of wheeling n 1/2 ton axles though, they aren't as delicate as you'd assume reading the internet.

Personally, I think you'd be better off spending cash on good axle shafts, hubs and air or e-locker.
    Visit my builds

Shadetree Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by 70-K5 View Post
    If you've got $2,000 extra drop the D60 in.... there are plenty of capable rigs out there that do plenty of wheeling n 1/2 ton axles though, they aren't as delicate as you'd assume reading the internet.

Personally, I think you'd be better off spending cash on good axle shafts, hubs and air or e-locker.
    Well, money is always an issue for me, that's the reason for it not being as far along as I had hoped for, by now. My theory was, buy a little here and there, upgrade what I have, wheel a littler harder, enjoy little more, and buy big boys after kids move out. My plan was buy upgraded axle shafts, all bearings and seals and all, decent LSD units, and take it from there.
    Have a great day, and be blessed.

1985 Silverado K-5
    355/sm465/208

Quote Originally Posted by clayb226 View Post
    I am actually thinking about keeping the original axles, but putting in some better components like a quality LSD, quality axles shafts, things like that, what are you all's take on these types of upgrades, as opposed to buy 1 ton axles and the likes??
    The problem with that approach (in my opinion, and in my experience) is that by the time you buy all those upgraded components for the half ton axles, you just about could have upgraded to 1-tons, which will still be stronger in stock form than your upgraded 1/2-tons would be.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll101/OldFatGuy_photos/blazersig_zpsl5ssa3e3.jpg

TOTM Winner - May 2014

Need to win Power Ball. Senior member AV8TER's Avatar
    ^^ What he said. ^^ Why even put the money into half tons? What do you gain? An inch of clearance in the front and if you shave a 14FF you still have the same clearance in the back.
    I don't always drive a 4x4, but when I do, it's a Chevy.

1984. HO 454, EFI, 4L60, 208, D60, shaved 14FF, both locked.
    4 in lift. 35 inch Toyo MTs.
    AKA The Trail Master 3000
    October 2014 TOTM, December 2017 TOTM

The only thing funner than a big engine is a bigger engine!!!

Shadetree Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
    The problem with that approach (in my opinion, and in my experience) is that by the time you buy all those upgraded components for the half ton axles, you just about could have upgraded to 1-tons, which will still be stronger in stock form than your upgraded 1/2-tons would be.
    Yeah, I was thinking about this also... I may have to just take it easy on the old girl, until I can upgrade....

Quote Originally Posted by AV8TER View Post
    ^^ What he said. ^^ Why even put the money into half tons? What do you gain? An inch of clearance in the front and if you shave a 14FF you still have the same clearance in the back.
    Well, I was hoping to slowly upgrade, while enjoying. I bought the rig to enjoy with the kids, but they will likely be moved out before I can afford to dump all the funds at once, so I guess what I would gain is enjoyment, and time with the kiddos in the Blazer!!! I will likely just leave it stock, and hope for the best, then upgrade when I can.

On a side note, I do not plan rock crawling, just trails, and mud. I will dump some maintenance into it, and see how things seem to act, and take it from there. I think that the factory axles will hold up, as long as I do not get too extreme.

1985 Silverado K-5
    355/sm465/208

Shadetree Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by 70-K5 View Post

This may be the route?? I do not have the extra cash, but if I upgrade the factory ones, I will likely have to buy it little at a time, so I can match, especially if I go to more splines on the axles. I am unsure at this point, but I will talk to some local guys, and some friends, and see if maybe I can piece some stuff together!! Thanks for the replies!!

1985 Silverado K-5
    355/sm465/208