Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tbi to tpi

Enjoying Life Chief Hunglikmule 70-K5's Avatar
    Does TPI require more fuel pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by 70-K5 View Post
    I wish I could find the thread I read on pirate4x4. It noted things like that. But never said if it would bolt up to the heads, if it had a spot for egr, what sensors were needed etc

"I won't back up. I won't back down. I've been raised up to stand my ground. Take my job, but not my guns. Tax my check til' i ain't got none. Except for the good lord up above, I answer to no one."

I'm not sure what you'd gain. From the "more torque" thread, it appears that the TBI motors are not the greatest base to start with unless you get some better heads to start with....?

July 2013 Truck Of The Month Winner! http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...TM!!!!!/page15

December 2012 Truck Of The Month Winner! http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...!!!!!!!!/page9

Interior build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...a-new-interior

Exterior build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...928#post133928

Frankenstein build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...4-Frankenstein

Photobucket

"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
    Let my aim be true and my hand faster
    than those who would seek to destroy me.
    Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
    Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
    And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."

"I think people underestimate how much of an improvement that TPI offers over TBI. The fact that TBI actually flows fuel through the entire intake manifold, really kills fuel atomization, reducing power and making emissions worse simply because you are not getting as efficient of a burn as you could. Plus there are going to be distribution issues as it is very difficult to evenly distributr fuel evenly to all cylinders with a TBI or Carb. setup. Being able to have the fuel right at the back of each intake valve allows the fuel to be at a better state of atomization, and solves the distribution issue." Got this off the thread on pirate4x4. So basically better emissions and efficiency. And have you seen the tpi setup? Damn it's sexy. Haha

"I won't back up. I won't back down. I've been raised up to stand my ground. Take my job, but not my guns. Tax my check til' i ain't got none. Except for the good lord up above, I answer to no one."

Yo Soy tu Papi Senior member 8T6K5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 70-K5 View Post
    Yes. Whats TBI...12-15? IIRC I was at about 35-40psi with my TPI.

Quote Originally Posted by corella10 View Post
    ...and kave you seen the tpi setup? Damn it's sexy. Haha
    Yes, TPI looks trick but the ROI on the cost to swap is low. Depending on what block you currently have you may need an aftermarket intake to match it to the heads...that probably the biggest issue. Stock TPI hits low but peters out at about 5500. If you can run vortec heads on your set that will really help. As far as sensors theres an IAT inside the plenum, EGR and TPS.

If you want solid, trusted info on TPI hit up/lurk in this forum: http://www.thirdgen.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 8T6K5 View Post
    Yes. Whats TBI...12-15? IIRC I was at about 35-40psi with my TPI.

Yes, TPI looks trick but the ROI on the cost to swap is low. Depending on what block you currently have you may need an aftermarket intake to match it to the heads...that probably the biggest issue. Stock TPI hits low but peters out at about 5500. If you can run vortec heads on your set that will really help. As far as sensors theres an IAT inside the plenum, EGR and TPS.

If you want solid, trusted info on TPI hit up/lurk in this forum: http://www.thirdgen.org/
    I think I may look into thirdgen. I'm kinda interested in it the more I read. What is ROI? The reason I even started looking is because I found a full set up for 250 while browsing on Craigslist.

I think I may look into thirdgen. I'm kinda interested in it the more I read. What is ROI? The reason I even started looking is because I found a full set up for 250 while browsing on Craigslist.
    Return On Investment..... Dont get me wrong, if done right they can scream and in theory are ideal for a truck. That forum will be a good tool and all 3rd Gen Camaros came with TPI (305/350) so those guys know their stuff. There are some slight differences between '87-'88 (I think) so read up on where the split is.

Awesome. Thank you. How did yours run?

Awesome. Thank you. How did yours run?
    Ran fine. Was a bit worn and needed a re-ring, maybe valve job too. I was doing all I could short of a rebuild to get it to pass emissions and honestly just got fed up with it. If it wouldve passed Id have held on to it and addressed the problems.

Thats too bad. Well thanks for the info. I wish I could find more info on it. I've googled and googled and nothing at all. I will figure it out though