Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody burning their spark plug wires?

Enjoying Life Chief Hunglikmule 70-K5's Avatar

Anybody burning their spark plug wires?

I've burned through a few spark plug wires with my headers now and I'm tired of it...
    I have routed them the best I can but sometimes I move/bump them when I'm under the hood than a few miles later I smell burning and hear a miss in the engine...

I know I could probably do a better job securing them with clamps but I'm thinking about shorty spark plugs, I saw some at O'Rielly's last week and thought they'd possibly help a little. Plus it is time for new plugs anyways.

Anyone have any experience with these or other great ideas?

on mine i have high temp wires. summit sells some stuff you run it through that is suppose to keep the heat down. i haven't had any problems since i switch to the high temp ones

2000 Saturn Sl1-daily driver

1997 Ford F250 7.3L diesel

1982 K-5 350 w/turbo 350/203-Play truck

1984 K20 w/1 ton dually rear 6.2L turbo diesel w/700r4/208-Work truck/daily driver-coming soon

1991 C10 suburban soon to be k10

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

IBUP DAR Knows their $hit FresnoK5er's Avatar
    I haven't had a problem with my plug wires in quite some time. I use the 90 degree boots. I guess you probably do too.

That reminds me. It's time for an errall change and tune up(just plugs and wires)

BIG BLAZE

wheelin a P40...yo Senior member HEAVY METAL's Avatar
    i use the " socks.. works very well.....

I have at least one wire thats burnt, but I'll eventually replace all of them.

Heavy- Do you ever plan on switching on over to serp?

I drive a Jeep now! Chief Hunglikmule Skin-K5's Avatar
    Header wrap?

wheelin a P40...yo Senior member HEAVY METAL's Avatar
    header wrap bad.. very very bad. i was gonna do it.. bought all the stuff then did some internet research, returned the wrap and bought socks.

Grey..no plans for serp rather spend the money on front ARB, doubler,hydraulic winch etc etc

yowzers! Shadetree Mechanic CrippleCreek_K5's Avatar
    being to lazy to do my own internet research, what was the problem with header wrap, heavy?

for header wraps that bad is that it holds the moister in and makes them rust faster...and if their new headers I believe it will void the warranty..
    1987 Chevy Blazer 355 Tbi Dana60 (open) 14 bolt FF (Detroit locker) 4.56 gears np241c 700r4 36 13.50 15 Super Swamper Irok Radial 15x10 ALLIED Bead Locks

TO BE OLD AND WISE YOU MUST BE YOUNG AND STUPID