Thread: fuel gauge not working

Fresh from the farm

fuel gauge not working

the fuel gauge is not working no matter how much gas i put in the gauge stays at a 1/4 of a tank left. is this the sender if so how hard is it to remove the tank this my first k5 blazer usually i normally trucks of the same vintage. is it easier or harder than those gas tanks. or could it just be the gauge any help would be appreciated.

it is not to bad, but first get a ohm meter and find the wire coming out of the tank that boolts to the frame near the driver side read spring hanger. take that bolt out then turn the key on to supply power and get a reading from the end of that wire to the frame. 0 would be empty and 90 is full, if that has a reading some where in that range it is prolly your gauge. Figure that out and get back to us.
    CUSTOM SUPER AWSOME SIGNATURE!!

there is a ground that comes of the sending unit that usually gets corroded. if you climb under your truck it should be on the front side of the fuel tank, there is a brace just in front of the tank where it gets grounded out . clean that ground up and see if that changes anything. try what WARWGN said also

if you do have to drop the tank. there is 2 straps that hold the tank up. you'll have to undoe these 2 straps. its best to do when your tank is close to empty. what i did is set a jack underneath it with a block of wood. and slowly let it down far enough until you can undo the wiring harness for the sending unit and the fuel lines. then lower it the rest of the way. there should be some ant-squeak padding on top of the tank and the underneath the fuel tank straps.

or you can cut an access panel in your floor pans and undo the harness and fuel lines from up above. then undo your fuel tank straps and let the the tank down.

2000 Saturn Sl1-daily driver

1997 Ford F250 7.3L diesel

1982 K-5 350 w/turbo 350/203-Play truck

1984 K20 w/1 ton dually rear 6.2L turbo diesel w/700r4/208-Work truck/daily driver-coming soon

1991 C10 suburban soon to be k10

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

The man, the myth, the legend GCAL50's Avatar
    Yea i have the same issue sort off...my gauge is stuck on the 3/4 and way past full area. The PO cut this halfway access panel on the floors...so I can see my ground and have cleaned it out real good. It didnt work so I just fill up every 220 miles after fuel up. (10mpg x 22) Usually I still have 1-2 gallons left by the time I get it to the station with this method. I havent had any problems with it running out of gas...been doing this for 3 months now. Ill drop the tank when I get a chance sometime next month..,before the snow and the 4x4 usuage.

Fresh from the farm
    i did what spectreblazer said first and cleaned up the wire the bolts to the frame and than i tested the wire with my ohm meter and it read around 132 140 what does this tell me is this saying that my sender is bad or that the whole wire is bad

sounds like a bad sender to me, should only read a max of 90 ohms.

Fresh from the farm
    thanks for all the help guys got gauge working now never even realized that none of my other electronic gauges were working eitther. so i put a new fuse and whammo its working

crazy, glad it was easy!!