Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Need advice Lift kit Blazer K5 M1009. Help me plz

The man, the myth, the legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    My personal experience with using the spacers below the frame has not been good. I had a 1986 that the previous owner did that, it destroyed the rubber in the engine mounts because it changed the angle of the driveline, the fan hit the top of the shroud (again because of the change in driveline angle) and the frame itself bent at the mounting point from the stress. To fix it I had to heat the frame to bend it back to straight and then put a plate on top of the frame to stiffen it up and I had to replace the engine mounts. I now go with the setup like Crusty mentioned.

If all you are doing is driving on the street, you may not have the issues I had - if you do any medium to hardcore off-roading it is a different story.

Hey, so my Blazer came with the lift installed. I was wondering why the engine mounts looked so rough when i replaced them. It also has the transfer case dropped. And on the passenger side, it looks like the frame messed up and was replaced by a bolted in steel plate. I'm replacing my trans now so it seems like the ideal time to correct it...but that'll mean i can't drive it for like 3 weeks until i get a new driveshaft made. My steering also got worse because the lift put shims on the front that messed up the castor, getting a alignment should show this. Also if you google, there are extended brake lines you can get from the parts store, these might be Napa numbers.
    Rear part # UP 38068 & Front part # UP 38872 I think advance auto is BH38068 & BH38827. i used these with a 4-6" lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
    They just bandaid the problem.
    Have you had the alignment checked after installing the lift? Did you place any degree shims between the axle and leaf springs? Did you change rims and/or tires?

You replaced the tie rod ends and the ball joints on the knuckles? Did you do all 4 TRE? two in the steering arm and two on the drag link?
    Hey,

I didn't change rims, tires nor something else.
    Just put the lift and that's it.

It's for sure the increased hight who reinforced the problem. The steering was a little "sloppy" before but it seems to be quiet normal an that kind of trucks, and especially for europeen people used to very stiff steerings. But since I put the lift, it was directly A LOT more. And not nice at all to drive.

All ball joints and tie rods are fine, I replaced the ones who were ruined by new ones.
    I don't have any degree shim, only in the back becaus of the lift blocks who are angled.

I heard some people talk about a dual steering stabailzer.
    Somebody has tryied this ?

Quote Originally Posted by n4thy.4.72 View Post
    Hey,

I didn't change rims, tires nor something else.
    Just put the lift and that's it.

It's for sure the increased hight who reinforced the problem. The steering was a little "sloppy" before but it seems to be quiet normal an that kind of trucks, and especially for europeen people used to very stiff steerings. But since I put the lift, it was directly A LOT more. And not nice at all to drive.

All ball joints and tie rods are fine, I replaced the ones who were ruined by new ones.
    I don't have any degree shim, only in the back becaus of the lift blocks who are angled.

I heard some people talk about a dual steering stabailzer.
    Somebody has tryied this ?

Where are the pro's ?

GlobberK5 and rpcraft, can we have your opinion ?

Administrator Senior member GobblerK5's Avatar
    I only have a single steering stabilzer...

My steering was sloppy, then I replaced ball joints, one of the tie rod ends (TRE) and both ends on the drag link. Then put a new steering gear box on and swapped the rag joint steering shaft for a Jeep XJ steering shaft. All of that REALLY tightened up my steering. No more slop...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RIP - 1987 K5 Blazer - Silverado Edition
    305 TBI / 700r4 / 10 Bolts / 3.08s

32x11.50x15 Buckshot Mudders on stock rallys
    Flowmaster 40 series with dual chrome tips out the back
    1987 K5 Silverado - Build Thread

1991 K5 Blazer - Silverado Edition
    350 TBI / 4L60 / 10 bolts / 4.10s
    35x12.50x15 Cooper Discoverer STT on stock rallys
    1991 K5 Silverado - Build Thread
    NOVEMBER 2012 ----- TRUCK-OF-THE-MONTH!!!!
    APRIL 2013 ----- TRUCK-OF-THE-MONTH!!!!

And my other ride ---> GobblerK5's 2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab - Not much building going on in here though