Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 89 K5, 350 TBI, 700r4: location of vehicle speed sensor?

Knows their $hit
    Heh, well I believe Iggy and the other smart people on this board. Pretty much everyone knows more than I do . . . I will climb under and take a look this weekend. I have a feeling of dread about this because I put in the DIY4X aluminum dash with Autometer gauges. I got a friend (who actually knows what he is doing) to help me with the install. . we (he!) had to take the clip of wires apart (that plugged into the dash cluster printed circuit) in order to identify the function of each wire and make each wire --> gauge function properly. . which means it's possible that we basically unplugged or otherwise screwed up the behind-dash vehicle speed sensor thing. . That said, I don't recall us messing with it, it's also possible that we left it alone and the VSS unit simply wore out. . . but I definitely recall that the speedo runs off of a mechanical cable.

Sigh - nothing is ever easy. . .
    None

Knows their $hit
    UPDATE: Iggy is right. My speedo cable plugs into the tranny/transfer case tailpiece. All mechanical, nothing electric. I will need to look behind the dash cluster and see if I can figure it out.

Maybe easiet approach would be to call Autometer and see if anyone there has dealt with this. . I have no recollection of messing with the VSS while putting in the aftermarket dash/gauges. Oddly, it functioned fine (no "check engine light") for at least a year after I put in the aftermarket gauges. . . which hopefully is a good indication that I didn't mess with the electronic VSS and it just conked out, as 30 year old electronic parts often do. . .
    None