Thread: 2" Body Lift Question - What About Fuel Tank?

Shadetree Mechanic

2" Body Lift Question - What About Fuel Tank?

The 77 K5 I picked up a few weeks ago came with a 2" body lift in a box that the PO never put on.

I am considering putting it in when I do all the other repairs. The PO had already put a slip shaft on the steering column rod in anticipation of the lift.

My question is what do I do about the fuel tank if I put the lift in?
    The top of the fuel tank will no longer touch the body.
    This year K5 has the options of 25 and 31 gallon tanks. The only difference between the two is the height of the 31 gal is exactly 2" taller. I had considered buying the 31 gal and using the 25 gal straps which would bring the tank back up 2".

Thoughts or suggestions?

I know nothing about lifts, but most on here are going to say sell the body life and buy a spring lift.
    We're working on it...

Shadetree Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by katncaed View Post
    I know nothing about lifts, but most on here are going to say sell the body life and buy a spring lift.
    It already has a 4" suspension lift, guess I forgot to say that.... I wanted to go up to a 6" suspension lift but I would likely have to change drive shafts as the angle would be too great on them.

The way the tank goes in it seats against the top of the frame rails, so the body lift is irrelevant.

Shadetree Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
    The way the tank goes in it seats against the top of the frame rails, so the body lift is irrelevant.
    Ok good. I appreciate it...

I Yam what I Yam Senior member Crusty Old Shellback's Avatar
    Probably need a longer rubber fill hose though since the tank stays with the frame and the cap,/fill tube stay with the body.
    Can't remember if I moved mine on my 04 when I did a 3" body lift.
    Also possible longer ground wires that may go from frame to body.
    A hearst dosen't come with a luggage rack!

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you won’t believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

December 2015 TOTM

Build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...140#post245140

If you lift the body, the radiator moves up and the engine does not - hoses need to be changed, fan no longer fits in the shroud, shift linkage no longer lines up..... want me to go on! It is easier and safer to ditch the 4" lift and purchase a 6" lift. A body lift does not add ground clearance, not does it help articulation. If the only reason to add a body lift is to add larger tires, get out the sawzall and open up the fenders.
    1990 GMC K5 Jimmy (Not the pretend Jimmy) with 454 TBI - TH400 - NP241C

1981 Chevy K5 Blazer Mall Crawler with 350 Carb - TH700-R4 - NP241C

When I die, I want to go out like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming my head of like the passengers in his car!