Thread: Weather strip adhesives.

Weather strip adhesives.

Over the weekend I went to install a new weather seal for the hard top. I went and grabbed a tube of the 3M weather seal adhesive.
    Applied it to the topper and to the weather strip. Let them dry to tacky as per the instructions. Installed the seal and clamped it up. Went out today to to remove the clamps. Rolled back the edge of the seal and the adhesive just peeled right off the seal.
    Just to rule out the weather and colder temperatures, I applied some more adhesive to a small peice of the weather strip I had trimmed off. I let it set up for a about 3 or 4 hours. And sure enough I can peel it right off.
    Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Looking to get the hard top back on. Has anyone used any other products?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Till The Wheels Fall Off

Resident Beach Bum Senior member EXJAY's Avatar
    Odd.. I've used the same 3m adhesive but got it from LMC when I ordered all my seals (doors, cap, and tail gate) and have had no issues. Did figure out it sets a bit quicker than what was on the label, could have been the humidity though at the time. I did scuff the pinch welds/seams with a red scuff pad prior to applying but not sure if that was a factor or not.
    '88 K5 w/ 4" Rancho lift (springs/blocks) RS5000s, & 33x12.50 BFG A/Ts
    '15 Silverado Crew Cab
    '74 VW Superbeetle

Sorry if I steered you wrong. It worked fine for us doing the exact same weather stripping. It makes no sense it would peel off the weather stripping. Wonder if you got some bad product from 3M.

If I were you, I'd wipe some of your cut up left overs with acetone to test just to make sure it doesn't have any manufacturing residue and try again. If it still isn't working, then it has to be some bad sealant.
    We're working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by katncaed View Post
    Sorry if I steered you wrong. It worked fine for us doing the exact same weather stripping. It makes no sense it would peel off the weather stripping. Wonder if you got some bad product from 3M.

If I were you, I'd wipe some of your cut up left overs with acetone to test just to make sure it doesn't have any manufacturing residue and try again. If it still isn't working, then it has to be some bad sealant.
    Not your fault at all buddy. Nothing to apologize for. I've been thinking the same thing. Prob a bad tube or something. I just scrubbed a test peice with paint thinner and applied some more. I'll check it in the morning to see if I can peel it off. If it doesn't work then I'll be taking it back to oreillys or contacting 3M about it. The stuff on the topper I can't even scrape off. That stuff is on there.

Till The Wheels Fall Off

Administrator Senior member GobblerK5's Avatar
    My bet is cold temperature...I laid down some caulk on the hunting hut door threshold Sunday before last. Went back out there on Wednesday it wasn't cured. This past Saturday it was cured after we warmed up above 60°F for a day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RIP - 1987 K5 Blazer - Silverado Edition
    305 TBI / 700r4 / 10 Bolts / 3.08s

32x11.50x15 Buckshot Mudders on stock rallys
    Flowmaster 40 series with dual chrome tips out the back
    1987 K5 Silverado - Build Thread

1991 K5 Blazer - Silverado Edition
    350 TBI / 4L60 / 10 bolts / 4.10s
    35x12.50x15 Cooper Discoverer STT on stock rallys
    1991 K5 Silverado - Build Thread
    NOVEMBER 2012 ----- TRUCK-OF-THE-MONTH!!!!
    APRIL 2013 ----- TRUCK-OF-THE-MONTH!!!!

And my other ride ---> GobblerK5's 2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab - Not much building going on in here though

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerK5 View Post
    My bet is cold temperature...I laid down some caulk on the hunting hut door threshold Sunday before last. Went back out there on Wednesday it wasn't cured. This past Saturday it was cured after we warmed up above 60°F for a day.

I tested it in doors earlier. Same results.

Till The Wheels Fall Off

Administrator Senior member GobblerK5's Avatar
    I thought that's what you meant...oh well

RIP - 1987 K5 Blazer - Silverado Edition
    305 TBI / 700r4 / 10 Bolts / 3.08s

32x11.50x15 Buckshot Mudders on stock rallys
    Flowmaster 40 series with dual chrome tips out the back
    1987 K5 Silverado - Build Thread

1991 K5 Blazer - Silverado Edition
    350 TBI / 4L60 / 10 bolts / 4.10s
    35x12.50x15 Cooper Discoverer STT on stock rallys
    1991 K5 Silverado - Build Thread
    NOVEMBER 2012 ----- TRUCK-OF-THE-MONTH!!!!
    APRIL 2013 ----- TRUCK-OF-THE-MONTH!!!!

And my other ride ---> GobblerK5's 2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab - Not much building going on in here though

Resident Beach Bum Senior member EXJAY's Avatar
    Notsure of the cure tempbut maybe a bit warner, got a hair dryer or heat gun if that dont work?
    '88 K5 w/ 4" Rancho lift (springs/blocks) RS5000s, & 33x12.50 BFG A/Ts
    '15 Silverado Crew Cab
    '74 VW Superbeetle

The man, the myth, the legend
    This happened to me before but it was due to that powdery stuff on the seal. So i had to wash it and it worked after that. But since you cleaned it and it still didn't work...I think you got a bad tube.