Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Problem of the century! Radio harness

  1. #1

    Problem of the century! Radio harness

    Good morning Blazer Brothers

    I've got a doozy of a problem only one of you with a parts truck can resolve, and I'm hoping you can help.

    Blazers in this country are like hen's teeth. I've only seen two in all my years here, and I have one. Even 88-94 pickups are few and far between, so no parts picking here.

    So.... I'm taking my Blazer completely back to stock, and one of the last jobs I've tackled is installing the factory radio (OK, it will have a Sirius) I know all the caveats about doing this.

    This truck had an aftermarket radio in it, and the bozo who installed it didn't have the brains to leave the original connectors - they cut them out and removed the data control module !!

    I've got the radio face and the equalizer with their cables, but the one thing I don't have is the DCM and the top connector.

    Believe it or not, I can buy a DCM at Walmart, but the connector has to come from one of you guys.

    I need the connector and at least 6-7 inches of wire so I can match everything up and solder it all back together. If you have a DCM, better still.

    Here's a picture of what I need.

    Harness.jpg

    All somebody has to do is go to a parts truck, get under the dash, unplug the connector, and cut the wires as far away from the connector as you can.

    I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for one of you guys to get this for me.

    There's gotta be a lot of you guys that have access to a parts truck. Any Takers?
    Last edited by jdjonesdr; 11-21-2017 at 11:50 AM.

  2. #2
    The man, the myth, the legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    335
    So i had the same issue, and i got mines from a Monte Carlo. Most 78-87 model GM and Chevy vehicles use the same connectors. So you can get them from anything. I did a quick search on eBay and found a few that work and may be cheaper. One link is for a new set that has all 3 connectors together.


    Ebay Link


    Link


    Link

  3. #3
    Senior member katncaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,258
    If I'm not mistaken, he's got a mid-90s Blazer...also not in the US but in the Dominican I think. I can look next time I'm at a yard, but no clue when that will be. Springtime probably...
    We're working on it...


  4. #4
    The man, the myth, the legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by katncaed View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, he's got a mid-90s Blazer...also not in the US but in the Dominican I think. I can look next time I'm at a yard, but no clue when that will be. Springtime probably...
    Ah I missed the "in this country part". There should still be some on eBay though. Just need to find someone who does international shipping.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    It wouldn't even be international shipping. I have a Miami mail forwarding address, so it's a piece of cake to throw it in a small box and send it off.

    I'm a little confused though; I'm under the impression that plug I'm looking for is a one piece unit.

    Am I to understand there are actually 4 different plugs?

    It would really be awesome to get a DCM with that top plug still in it.
    Last edited by jdjonesdr; 11-21-2017 at 10:49 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by notime2d8 View Post
    So i had the same issue, and i got mines from a Monte Carlo. Most 78-87 model GM and Chevy vehicles use the same connectors. So you can get them from anything. I did a quick search on eBay and found a few that work and may be cheaper. One link is for a new set that has all 3 connectors together.


    Ebay Link


    Link


    Link


    Brother, I owe you a six pack.

    Look what I found on EBAY:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Chevy-P....c100005.m2219

    I was using the wrong search criteria. This says it fits the 88-94 K1500, so it should be a match as far as wire colors are concerned (fingers crossed)

    Now, I gotta spring for a DCM.

    I'll let everybody know how it works out.

  7. #7
    The man, the myth, the legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjonesdr View Post
    It wouldn't even be international shipping. I have a Miami mail forwarding address, so it's a piece of cake to throw it in a small box and send it off.

    I'm a little confused though; I'm under the impression that plug I'm looking for is a one piece unit.

    Am I to understand there are actually 4 different plugs?

    It would really be awesome to get a DCM with that top plug still in it.
    I was wrong with those links. What year/model do you have? I'm going to the junkyard this Saturday.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by notime2d8 View Post
    I was wrong with those links. What year/model do you have? I'm going to the junkyard this Saturday.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

    Brother, It's a 94 Blazer K1500.

    The radio head I have is the one without bass and treble buttons (did you know there's 4 different ones?) and the equalizer/cassette deck is in the center where some trucks have a cubby hole.

    I now understand there is a variety of the under dash modules, due to the different types of Radio heads, Equalizer or CD player, Bose innards, etc. Fascinating stuff.

    The one that works with my particular Radio head and equalizer is part # 16140942

    I have another guy who says he has a bunch of trucks in his lot and he's checking today, so give me a day or two more and I'll let you know.

    As I mentioned before, I found the top plug on EBAY, so that is an excellent step in the right direction.

    Thank you very much for following up for me, and I'll let you know here.

    Happy thanksgiving!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •