Thread: Water softeners.

I Yam what I Yam Senior member Crusty Old Shellback's Avatar

Water softeners.

So, with everything else going on around here, and me being gone the last 3 weeks basically, now I have home improvement chores to do.
    After I got back from Baja, it seems my high dollar water softener decided it wanted a rebuild and so slowed down the water flow. In my going over the unit, I found that the valve is also shot and needs replaced, plus the timer gears are messing up, due to the valve not working.
    I've rebuilt the valves once before as well as replaced the resin media. It's a good commercial system that was in the house when we bought it 14 years ago.
    So rather than spend another $600 rebuilding it, I've decided to spend that money on a new water softener and whole house water filter. Also when I replace it, I will move it out of the garage, into the enclosed breeze way. This will give me more usable room in the garage.
    Looking at these units from Lowe's.
    Whirlpool WHELJ1 whole house water filter and WHES44 water softener.
    So anyone ever use these systems?
    Any input on any of it?
    A hearst dosen't come with a luggage rack!

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you won’t believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

December 2015 TOTM

Build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...140#post245140

Enjoying Life Senior member 70-K5's Avatar
    I don't have a water softener, but of you're looking for a whole house filter I used a setup off Amazon. You can use single double or triple filters and customize them for your water type.
    I've got a particulate and a carbon filter on mine.

Pentek 160166 BBFS-22 1" #20 Big Blue Two-Housing Filter System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KDZ1YA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    Visit my builds

I was looking at a few if those, but you have filters to replace. This whole house filter flushes itself and supposedly has enough carbon to last 10 years. Its also a sediment filter. So no filters to change. That's why I was looking at it.

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you won’t believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

December 2015 TOTM

Enjoying Life Senior member 70-K5's Avatar
    Don't know what your filters specs are but I like the ability to change my filters when I want.

I just bought a set of 4 particulate filters for $60 and the carbon filters are 25 or so. You can see I mounted it in my basement right on the water supply to my house.

How does the filter you're looking at flush itself? Is it hooked to your black pipes?
    Visit my builds

Yes, it has a drain to the sewer line. So does the water softener.
    The filter has a sand bed type particulate filter and then a carbon filter. Not sure if the carbon is a cartridge or is on top of the sand bed. haven't been able to find that out yet. carbon is rated for 1 M gallons, so hence the 10 year life span is dependent on usage. The system is set up to do a back flush ever 14 days to clean out the sand bed. I can program a manual flush anytime I want. Not sure if there is anything I can do about the carbon. Price is about $250. Looking at a filter system similar to what you have was $100 for the system and $50 for the filters. So in 1 1/2 years, it would cost the same. After that, I'm ahead.

But from the start, I don't have to change any filters. Its rated at 6 GPM but will flow 9GPM with another 5 PSI drop in pressure. Looking at my house hold usage/routine, will probably never need 6 GPM. System is rated as a top 10 on the sites I researched on. It's the only one of its kind in those top 10, all the others are some type of cartridge filter types like you have.

Nice thing is its all whirlpool and available at Lowes.
    Last edited by Crusty Old Shellback; 12-07-2017 at 06:42 PM.

'87 K5. SOLD.

December 2015 TOTM

Need to win Power Ball. Senior member AV8TER's Avatar
    Obviously a stupid question, but is your water bad enough to need a softener and filter system?
    I don't always drive a 4x4, but when I do, it's a Chevy.

1984. HO 454, EFI, 4L60, 208, D60, shaved 14FF, both locked.
    4 in lift. 35 inch Toyo MTs.
    AKA The Trail Master 3000
    October 2014 TOTM, December 2017 TOTM

The only thing funner than a big engine is a bigger engine!!!

The water is one if the hardest in the country. I've run a RO unit for making water for my fish tanks in the past and the micron filter would be reddish brown in a few weeks.
    The wife can tell when our current softener needs to regrenate as her hands get rough and start to peel. I don't have a sediment filter on the softener but always thought about doing one.
    The current softener is a commerical system that has Resin, quarts, charcoal and a few other media in it. So it's a water conditioner, not just a softner.

'87 K5. SOLD.

December 2015 TOTM

Well I got them all plumbed in finally. Got the programed. And now cycling them since I can put them in service. Water softener in the left. Water filter on the right. Tankless water heater above.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

'87 K5. SOLD.

December 2015 TOTM