Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 700r4 TV cable adjustment or replacment

700r4 TV cable adjustment or replacment

So I've been noticing what feels like a slight slippage, shutter, and a an eventual thud when shifting from 1st to 2nd on my C10 daily driver.

I've never cared for the shift points since I've had the truck. Here are the other details regarding the transmission:
    1) When first shifting into a gear, the transmission shifts hard into the gear making the truck lunge into the direction your shifting into.
    2) Unless you really get on the throttle, the shift points are as follows: 1st to 2nd @ 7mph, into 3rd @ 26mph, and into 4th @ 38mph. If I get on it at 75%+ throttle then 1st into 2nd will get to about 15mph, into third @ 45mph, and into 4th whenever I pull back off the throttle
    3) More times than not, but not always, the shift from 2nd into 3rd is not instant. There is a split second where the transmission is not engaged and the motor will rev. Basically like a manual car would do if you didn't let off the throttle when you press the clutch to shift.
    4) Slippage, shutter, and eventual thud seem to be worse in cold weather, although still present in warm. You really have to be praying attention in warm weather to feel it. Cold weather it's obvious. But, it doesn't happen every time.
    5) Fluid level is perfect, and there is no burnt smell from the fluid.

Info on the transmission: it appears to be the original 700r4 transmission based on the fact that the codes on it indicate it was manufactured in '84. It also appears to have been rebuilt at some point because it is really clean and the fluid pan gasket has obviously been changed...however I have no concrete knowledge that it has been rebuilt.

After researching a bit, I feel like the problem may be that the TV cable isn't set properly or it's bad. Hoping to get some expert opinions to see what I should do. Regarding the TV cable, it is at an odd angle which could exasperate the problem I'm having. I'll get a picture tomorrow to show what I'm talking about. I did try to reset it, but I never could get it to rachet which makes be think it may need to be replaced.

So what do you guys think? TV cable the problem? And sorry for the book of a post. Trying to get all relevant info.
    We're working on it...

Ideally, if it has the right cable, the cable should be fully extended at the same time of WOT. The ratcheting is just in the plastic sleeve and shouldn't indicate a bad cable. As long as the cable can move freely it should be good. Mine doesn't ratchet either. I have to apply slight pressure to the release to get it to ratchet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Till The Wheels Fall Off

The 85 "Lumpy" I picked up had the tv cable at full adjustment meaning I could not tighten the cable for firmer/later shifts. I used a lead fishing weight in front of the factory cable stop. It gave me enough adjustment to move the 1 to 2 shift to about 15-17 with light throttle. I crimped the weight on the cable and it has been holding up well.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Xray Tedd View Post
    Ideally, if it has the right cable, the cable should be fully extended at the same time of WOT. The ratcheting is just in the plastic sleeve and shouldn't indicate a bad cable. As long as the cable can move freely it should be good. Mine doesn't ratchet either. I have to apply slight pressure to the release to get it to ratchet.
    I was expecting the racheting sound based of our K5. When we reset it, we got a loud clicking noise after we hit the button then pressing the skinny pedal to thrnfloor. Scared the crap out of me because I thought we broke it. But, the K5 shifts like a luxury car. I got no clicking after resetting the C10 tv cable, which makes me think that the cable needs replacing.
    We're working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by linewatch View Post
    The 85 "Lumpy" I picked up had the tv cable at full adjustment meaning I could not tighten the cable for firmer/later shifts. I used a lead fishing weight in front of the factory cable stop. It gave me enough adjustment to move the 1 to 2 shift to about 15-17 with light throttle. I crimped the weight on the cable and it has been holding up well.
    I had the exact same thought, but wasn't sure that would hold up against the constant stress. And if it fell off would I make things worse.
    We're working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by katncaed View Post
    I had the exact same thought, but wasn't sure that would hold up against the constant stress. And if it fell off would I make things worse.
    You could always do that and see if you like it. If all is well then start looking to see how you can make it permanent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Till The Wheels Fall Off

Pics as promised. If you look closely, you'll see that the TV cable is at about a 10° angle. No bueno in my opinion.

We're working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Xray Tedd View Post
    You could always do that and see if you like it. If all is well then start looking to see how you can make it permanent.
    Took your advice:

The difference is fairly dramatic:
    1) hard shift when putting into gear is still present, although it maybe a little less pronounced
    2) shift points with light throttle: 1st to 2nd - 13mph, into 3rd - 36mph, can't tell when it hit 4th. Never got to 45 mph around town
    3) shift points with moderate throttle: 1st to 2nd, 25 mph, into 3rd I don't know as I had to pull off the throttle
    4) so far, no slippage, shuttering, thuds, or revs between 2nd and 3rd, but I'll need more driving as they are not always present.
    5) side effect: when turning or going slow through a parking lot and letting off the throttle at about 5-6mph, the transmission shifts hard into 2nd

I'm thinking I might need a smaller weight. Point #3 above I don't like. I wonder if this transmission has a shift kit in it. Don't know.

Hoping @Iggy might have some thoughts.
    Last edited by katncaed; 12-08-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    We're working on it...

Need to win Power Ball. Senior member AV8TER's Avatar
    With the split shot where you have it does the throttle still go full before the TV cable bottoms out? If so you could do the same thing without the shot by just by pushing the button and pulling the cable tighter. When he first said he used a weight my thought was that he set the cable to full pull at WOT and then crimped the shot on the cable where it goes in the outer housing so the cable doesn't go all the way back to idle. Kinda like the trans thinks its a 1/4 throttle until the pedal really does get there. Does that make sense?

A word of advise on 700R4s. Try to avoid those hard shifts at all cost. Some trannies can handle that but these will bust the input drum in short order. I've seen/heard about it many times now. Bad mojo.

After reading his post again it sounds like he did the same thing you did. Here's how to check for proper adjustment. Pop the cable off the throttle body. With one hand pull the throttle to full open. With the other hand pull the TV cable all the way out. It should line up perfect with the stud on the throttle arm. What you want is the TV cable pulled all the way out when the throttle wide open. Adjust accordingly.
    Last edited by AV8TER; 12-08-2017 at 02:43 AM.
    I don't always drive a 4x4, but when I do, it's a Chevy.

1984. HO 454, EFI, 4L60, 208, D60, shaved 14FF, both locked.
    4 in lift. 35 inch Toyo MTs.
    AKA The Trail Master 3000
    October 2014 TOTM, December 2017 TOTM

The only thing funner than a big engine is a bigger engine!!!

Yeah, I don't like the hard shifts either. I adjusted it a bit when I got home. I think I crimped the weight too far up the TV cable. I pressed it up against the end of the cable as tight as I could get it. I'll see how it shifts heading to work in the AM.

Also, I tried adjusting the TV cable by pressing the button, but there was no change in the way it shifted. I think either the racheting mechanism is shot, or the odd angle is messing it up.

Another scenario is that the truck came with a carb, and it has a late 80's/early 90's throttle body on it. The transmission appears to be original. Could the travel of the throttle valve on the throttle body be different than the travel on the original carb? i.e. it still has an '84 TV cable but really needs a late 80's/early 90's TV cable? They may be the same so that doesn't matter. Just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by katncaed; 12-08-2017 at 02:57 AM.
    We're working on it...