Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with radio wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
    That is correct on color code for aftermarket stereos. There is also a single blue wire for remote turn on if a amp if you run one. The rest should be in pairs and are for the speakers.
    Yeah man, not worried about the stereo as much as whatís in the truck, but what I found for the truck is this... and thatís what I was going off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Yam what I Yam Senior member Crusty Old Shellback's Avatar
    That sounds right. Chevy used orange as the non critical constant 12 Volts. Pink for switched 12 volts and red for critical 12 volts. Black is always ground and gray seems to be dash lights.
    But they used yellow for the radio switched 12.
    A hearst dosen't come with a luggage rack!

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you wonít believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

January 2018 TOTM

Build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...140#post245140

That sounds right. Chevy used orange as the non critical constant 12 Volts. Pink for switched 12 volts and red for critical 12 volts. Black is always ground and gray seems to be dash lights.
    But they used yellow for the radio switched 12.
    My only question is if I can tie into the orange constant that goes to the auxiliary power or the lighter, instead of running to the battery.. or maybe it would be better to have direct power with an inline fuse.

Here's what I would do.
    1. Verify 12 V with key off on orange wire.
    2. Verify 12 V with key on, 0 volts with key off on yellow wire.
    If good, then connect yellow wire of radio to orange truck wire. Connect red wire of radio to yellow wire of truck. Connect black to black. Connect a speaker and it should work.

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you wonít believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

January 2018 TOTM

Here's what I would do.
    1. Verify 12 V with key off on orange wire.
    2. Verify 12 V with key on, 0 volts with key off on yellow wire.
    If good, then connect yellow wire of radio to orange truck wire. Connect red wire of radio to yellow wire of truck. Connect black to black. Connect a speaker and it should work.
    There isnít an orange wire at all, the only one I see goes to the lighter.. Iím missing a pig tail clip all together. I hooked up a wire kit to the radio and the yellow truck is going to ignition power on the deck (apparently yellow is ignition) Gray is connected to the constant, since in a diagram I seen, Gray is illumination, but is also a 12V constant, so I figured Iíd give that a shot, and Black is on black. I got nothing... fuse is in good shape. Everything else in the dash works.. Iím going to go to the store and get a multimeter tomorrow, figure this out. Something so simple has been kind of annoying.

Yea, you need a multimeter to make sure you have power on the truck wires.
    They gray wire will only have power when the lights are on, so I'd find a different power wire. Maybe tie into the orang wire on the lighter.

'87 K5. SOLD.

January 2018 TOTM

Get a cheap Harbor Freight one. They work good enough for this.

'87 K5. SOLD.

January 2018 TOTM

Yea, you need a multimeter to make sure you have power on the truck wires.
    They gray wire will only have power when the lights are on, so I'd find a different power wire. Maybe tie into the orang wire on the lighter.
    For sure. Thanks man! Iím going to get this done tomorrow if itís the last thing I do.