Thread: Need mechanics help/opinions

Need mechanics help/opinions

I have a friend that had a blow out today and now his car won't start. He doesn't have a ton of cash flow, so I'm hoping someone on here may have some ideas of what might be the issue.

The car:
    2010 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Here is what happened:
    Tire popped, and car lost control, spun around so it was moving backwards and slid against the guard rail. After the car came to a stop, it was running rough, so he turned it off. He then started it back up, but it was still running rough so he turned it back off. He had it towed home, and now it won't even turn over...no clicking...no nothing. Dash lights do work though.

The tire that popped was the driver's side rear. Gas tank is on that side. He also said there are no fluid leaks and no odd smells. Air bags didn't deploy. He also mentioned that the hazard lights wouldn't work, but I assumed he probably blew one of the bulbs.

Hope that covers everything needed, but if I missed something, I can ask him pretty quickly.

So, anyone have an idea? I mean, if it had a bowtie on it, it'd still be running...but that's another story. Car isn't damaged enough to not be drivable. Really just some minor dents and scratches.
    Last edited by katncaed; 01-13-2018 at 03:33 AM.
    We're working on it...

Shadetree Mechanic TNBLUESJIMMY's Avatar
    I've heard of some older Fords having a fuel reset switch, but I don't think they have all those symptoms when they trip. Seems like the hazard lights should work no matter what. Maybe some of the tire got a hold of some wiring under the car? Good luck.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

Possibly knocked a ground off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Till The Wheels Fall Off

Thanks guys. That's at least a start.
    We're working on it...

I Yam what I Yam Senior member Crusty Old Shellback's Avatar
    That's what all I was going to say as well, blown fuse, ripped out wires, or there is a safety feature somewhere that tripped. I've heard of the fuel shutoffs before. One other thought would be gunk got nocked loose in the tank and cloged the in tank filter.
    A hearst dosen't come with a luggage rack!

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you won’t believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

January 2018 TOTM

Build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...140#post245140

Thanks Crusty, I've passed all your ideas along to him. Hopefully he can figure it out without having to spend a ton of money. The car isn't worth all that much.
    We're working on it...

Unregistered User Knows their $hit Motorcharge's Avatar
    It's almost certainly the fuel reset button. Most Fords from the last 15-20 years have them and they're a pain in the ass because even potholes and crap will set them off. The idea is if you're in an accident it trips the switch and disables the fuel pump to reduce the risk of a fire. There's usually a red button on the left side under the dash somewhere that resets it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
    There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
    It's almost certainly the fuel reset button. Most Fords from the last 15-20 years have them and they're a pain in the ass because even potholes and crap will set them off. The idea is if you're in an accident it trips the switch and disables the fuel pump to reduce the risk of a fire. There's usually a red button on the left side under the dash somewhere that resets it.
    I agree with this diagnosis. But the switch on the Crown Vic is in the trunk. On the left side, IIRC.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll101/OldFatGuy_photos/blazersig_zpsl5ssa3e3.jpg

TOTM Winner - May 2014