Thread: LMC fenders and hood

I Yam what I Yam Senior member Crusty Old Shellback's Avatar

LMC fenders and hood

So I got a guy trying to give me a good deal on a new set of LMC fenders and a hood. Said he hasn't even opened the boxes yet.

My question is, has anyone used LMC's body parts? Fenders and hood? If so, how are they? I need the new parts but I'll be cutting up the fender.
    A hearst dosen't come with a luggage rack!

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you won’t believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

January 2018 TOTM

Build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...140#post245140

I have not had personal experience, but can relay what someone that restores classic vehicles told me. Basically all of the body parts are stamped at the same plant (overseas) and when the dies are new, the better stampings go to the more upscale vendors (more expensive). As the dies wear the quality of the stampings starts to fade, and those parts go to the more reasonably priced vendors. When the dies are getting to be worn out the stampings go to the low end vendors. LMC is one of the low end vendors.

I have been told, you can use the parts but the take more work than some of the other labels. In the case of your fenders and what you are doing they should be fine. As for the hood, I have seen where guys could not get an aftermarket hood to line up no matter what they did, others like Keystone fit like factory. If you get the hood cheap and it is for off-roading (not show) you should be fine.
    1981 Chevy K5 Blazer (Before there was a pretend Blazer) with 454 TBI - TH400 - NP241C

If you were a Supertramp, wouldn't you give more than a little bit?

When I die, I want to go out like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming my head of like the passengers in his car!

Got him down to $300 for fenders and hood. Or should I say, he's offered them to me for $300. I just need to find a place to store them.

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you won’t believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

January 2018 TOTM

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
    Got him down to $300 for fenders and hood. Or should I say, he's offered them to me for $300. I just need to find a place to store them.
    You can store them on my Blazer!!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    JUNE 2017 Truck Of The Month

Too far to drive and pick them up when I want to work on them.

'87 K5. SOLD.

January 2018 TOTM

So I found another set if fenders. They are blems but don't look bad. Since I'm going to cut them up anyways, figure why not. And they are half the price of the other ones. Going to look/buy on Saturday. Still going to try and get the hood.
    So if anyone local needs fenders, these are available.

'87 K5. SOLD.

January 2018 TOTM

Fresh from the farm
    I have receipts that came with my Jimmy for a hood from LMC. Not sure what all it has been through, but one small part on the driver side can be seen "bouncing" when hitting bumps as if it were a dent then popped out or the metal is more thin in that spot...
    '89 Jimmy TBI 350, MSD Digital Ignition Control, Edlebrock Intake Manifold, Holley TBI, Super Sucker TBI Spacer, Goodwrench 700R4, 31x10.5x15 BFG All Terrain, Kicker 8.5", Kicker 6x9s, Dual 15" Audiobahn.

Well I wound up buying the LMC hood and fenders for $300. Pics if them in my build thread.

'87 K5. SOLD.

January 2018 TOTM

Not bad looking out of the box. I was thinking of gettign a set of fenders and doors at some point and then mating it to a 2 inch cowl hood but I also have been worried about the LMC quality. I was thinking of checking with AMD or Goodmark and then having them ordered through a local paint and body shop so I can maybe dodge some freight. We'll see.