Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Moving Drive Train For Clearance

2-Wheeling & 4-Wheeling Shadetree Mechanic TNBLUESJIMMY's Avatar
    Looks like the frame was drilled, and the crossmember moved rearward and dropped with spacers, probably because the 700R4 is longer than the factory TH350. If the transmission mount is worn, it may cause the tranny/t-case to sag and cause the motor to tilt backwards more.
    K5 Blazer- The Greatest Truck ever Built!
    You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with the Big Jimmy!

I Yam what I Yam Senior member Crusty Old Shellback's Avatar
    Yep, looks like it was moved back some and dropped.

Your cross member looks just like mine, which is mounted to the frame. Also it appears to have the same tranny mount and is mounted to the adapter, same as mine.

I'd look at replacing your body mounts and tranny mount, and then remove the spacers and mount the cross member up to the frame. Then check your clearances.
    A hearst dosen't come with a luggage rack!

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you won’t believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

January 2018 TOTM

Build thread: http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...140#post245140

The man, the myth, the legend
    Or a smaller distributor with an external coil....?

Quote Originally Posted by notime2d8 View Post
    Or a smaller distributor with an external coil....?
    But the smaller dizzy will not fix his valve cover issue.

"Desert racing is the fiercest and most exciting competitive sport no one gives a shit about; we as a nation are too busy obsessing over spandex-clad guys chasing balls across manicured lawns to follow anything this extreme. Teams working together against time, nature and each other in conditions you won’t believe exist on a planet that supports life." A.P. Collins

'87 K5. SOLD.
    '73 pre runner Built 350 w/ Sniper EFI/SM465/205/D44/12bolt/3.73 gears, Spartan locker/auburn posi. 35" tires on 5" deaver spring lift. 12/18" travel F/R Crossover steering.

January 2018 TOTM

Shadetree Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
    Yep, looks like it was moved back some and dropped.

Your cross member looks just like mine, which is mounted to the frame. Also it appears to have the same tranny mount and is mounted to the adapter, same as mine.

I'd look at replacing your body mounts and tranny mount, and then remove the spacers and mount the cross member up to the frame. Then check your clearances.
    Yeah I will prolly give that a try and see what kinda clearance I have...

The PO also gave me a new set of poly tranny mounts with the truck... Once I get the body work done I will drop the body and tranny bushings in and try a test fit of the engine with distributor and see what kind of clearance I have... If I don't feel comfortable with the clearance then I will consider moving the drivetrain forward...

Sounds like a solid plan and the easier route to go. Put it back to factory and it should give you clearance.
    Good luck.

'87 K5. SOLD.

January 2018 TOTM

Someone really wanted that motor out. They cut the header pipes and all...

Shadetree Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
    Someone really wanted that motor out. They cut the header pipes and all...
    Hehe the PO welded the collectors directly to the exhaust pipes & the headers by the heads were all cracked and falling apart... Was easier to use a saw than trying to unbolt them and get the engine past them...