Thread: Transmission Leaking Into Transfer Case

Fresh from the farm

Transmission Leaking Into Transfer Case

I have a th350 paired with a np205, i think i may have transmission fluid leaking into my transfer case, i have been told i need to pull the tranny and transfer case out of the vehicle to repair this. what is the seal called that i need to replace if i do indeed have a leak between tranny and transfer case? also i am just wondering what the general concecous is re the th350 and np205 as a pair? is it worth replacing the th350 with a th400 while i have everything out? thanks in advance for any comments, you guys always have good insight.

Fresh from the farm
    also how difficult is it to pull the tranny and transfer case? i have swapped a few axles and done some various wrenching.....

Shadetree Mechanic
    It's called a transfer case input shaft seal. You only need to remove the t-case. Do you have a 205 or 208 t-case? Is it aluminum?

I have the same combo... and just had the exact same issues. I basically had everything rebuilt and re sealed when it was all said and done ( TH350 and NP 205)

Bad problem because your tcase is stealing (starving) your TH350 for fluid. Also- NP 205 takes gear oil and not ATF. So all that shit starts mixing in together in both the case and trans…..not good.

I figured it out when checking the trans fluid – the level always seemed to change by itself – up and down. So I changed out the tcase fluid and sure enough… it was pretty much all ATF when it should have been gear oil.

84 K5 - Newer front clip
    350/ 350 Turbo/ NP 205
    6in Skyjacker on 35in Goodyear MTR
    Everything pretty much new
    Hundreds of hours in time and thousands of dollars wasted....

My build thread - http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...4-K5-money-pit