Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dual batteries?

Damage case Senior member junkyard dog's Avatar

dual batteries?

ok those of you that have dual batteries on your non diesel blazers..... whats the best way to wire the batteries? control kit or battery isolator?? i mainly want the second battery to run my offroad lights and a winch (eventually)

1981 blazer- the junkyard dog...rat wheeler....built to go , not for show
    http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...dogs-81-blazer

90 ford ranger-daily driver

86 350/TH350/208 6" & 39' Senior member Ahays000's Avatar
    X2 I have a good spare battery and want to get a ballistic fab box for it, just gotta figure out how to run the wiring...

I picked up a drivers side factory battery tray at the local pic n pull for $7...paint was a little faded but otherwise in good shape... came with the hold down too... just want to figure out how to wire up the battery when i get all the stuff

isolator. saw one at oreilys the other night for $35

2000 Saturn Sl1-daily driver

1997 Ford F250 7.3L diesel

1982 K-5 350 w/turbo 350/203-Play truck

1984 K20 w/1 ton dually rear 6.2L turbo diesel w/700r4/208-Work truck/daily driver-coming soon

1991 C10 suburban soon to be k10

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

yea Ive seen em as spendy as $150...... or a painless wiring control setup for $200.... if I could do it on the cheap that would be better

76K5 The man, the myth, the legend 76K5's Avatar
    i think it depends on how you want to run it. i've seen it ran with a normal sized battery cable from the positive to positive of the battery's and just a stock ground cable for the second battery.

the spendy kits usualy divvy up the juice from the alternator to charge both evenly.

i was thinking of finding a diesal blazer/suburban/truck and stealing the factory set-up.

the differant methods have pros/cons. just running cable from bat to bat may not get the 2nd one fully charged but is a simple method. using a kit may add slightly complicated wirring that could fail, but better charges both batteries. and a factory set-up is usualy reliable and trouble free. its on my list of "wants" so hopefuly someone thats finished it can chime. theres like 1000 members, someone must have done it.

Isolator.

Make sure the one you use is rated for the amps of your alternator.

If you just run the positive to the batteries, when one dies, so does the other. Isolator prevents that and charges both as needed.

Also, in my setup, I have 1 battery for cranking and everything else on the other- Leave the lights on, no problem, the starter battery is not affected.

Unofficial Diesel Guru Senior member Koots's Avatar
    My 2500HD w/6.0L came with a dual battery setup and it has a relay or isolator (not sure on it's exact description) but it allows both to charge yet would only drain one battery when my starter solenoid was cracked and busted up and cause a big drain. Anyway, that's an option if you can't find an isolator in the store.
    1983 GMC Jimmy

Yawnnn!....... Lets hit the woods. Chief Hunglikmule Just-speed's Avatar
    You can go manual if you want. Run positive between both batteries. Leave your first battery grounded just as it is. The Second battery you add a cut off switch in the ground wire to the battery.

Napa sells an RV kit that is not cheap but good set-up.

Also might consider stopping by an rv dealer and asking for a used set-up or even new to see what prices are. Second battery is a great idea but also comes with risk.
    Just-Speed (Mike)
    85 K5 383,4l80(manual valve body),np241,D60 front,Corp 14B ff rear. (5.13 gear)

Just-speed@earthlink.net
    Cell 352-454-1426

yea I havent looked at local auto parts stores yet.... just looked on the summit racing site last night...i also plan on changing out the alt for a 140 amp alt too....is the stock diesel setup 12v or 24v on the starting part of the circuit?...I know the rest is 12v for the lights, accessories and everything else but the starting( like on a m1009 and such)