Thread: rear seat swap

Damage case Senior member junkyard dog's Avatar

rear seat swap

what seats will fit in a blazer with little modification to replace the rear bench seat??? anybody ever use a 3rd row bench from a suburban??getting rid of the rest of the saddle color parts in my blazer, wanna swap to a better back seat as the original one is getting rough
    1981 blazer- the junkyard dog...rat wheeler....built to go , not for show
    http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...dogs-81-blazer

90 ford ranger-daily driver

I drive a Jeep now! Chief Hunglikmule Skin-K5's Avatar
    I think you can make a basic bracket for the Suburban seat so it will still fold forward.

3rd row seats from suburbans are the same basic seat just with different front mounts. The suburban front mounts are just like the rear, they latch into the floor for quick release. The blazer front mounts are brackets that bolt to the floor.
    I have done this mod and am using a 3rd row seat myself. Unbolt the front suburban mounts from the seat, find some blazer brackets from a junked seat or make your own and bolt them on and you will be good to go. Here is some picture instructions.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266406

cool thanks guys!

was talking to a friend with a blazer and we both have the same idea...... and the suburban 3rd row seats are only $35 at the local salvage yard

Shadetree Mechanic
    I have a setup from a 99 suburban, front power buckets with 3rd row bench behind. You will need to cut the front brackets off the original blazer seats and unbolt the quick release from the back of the seat that mounts to the floor as well. Remove the same brackets from the suburban 3rd row bench and do a straight swap. The rear quick release bracket bolts straight up for the most part. The Front folding brackets need some relocation but pretty straight forward. You can also swap seatbelts or buy new ones. the outside 2 on a suburban are shoulder belts so unless you have a newer blazer with the shoulder belts in the rear then it would work. I just hit the junkyard for some more suburbans and got 2 additional lap belts to make it work. You can also repaint and install the outside armrests from your old seat if you want. They bolt right up. The bottom plastic cover from the old seat will fit with some minor mods as well. Paint to match. Feel free to send me a message if you need any more info on this swap. Pretty easy and well worth it in my opinion.
    87 K5 Stock 350/10bolts/33s Custom Interior

Suburbans up to 91 should bolt in with absolutely no mods done (no cutting or welding in other words) just swap the front brackets like I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
    3rd row seats from suburbans are the same basic seat just with different front mounts. The suburban front mounts are just like the rear, they latch into the floor for quick release. The blazer front mounts are brackets that bolt to the floor.
    I have done this mod and am using a 3rd row seat myself. Unbolt the front suburban mounts from the seat, find some blazer brackets from a junked seat or make your own and bolt them on and you will be good to go. Here is some picture instructions.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266406
    Sorry I should have said "I have the seat and the blazer brackets ready to put on my seat, all I need to do is find new plastic bushings for the pins." Then finish the rear interior and bolt the seat in. I could have the seat in already, but i'm going to do it right and find some bushings if possible. Plus until I get the mat cut and fit into the back there is no reason for the seat to be in.
    Anyway I have unbolted the suburban front mounts and test fit the blazer brackets, works perfect! The seats have the same frame