Thread: Ball joint gone bad

1969 - 1991 forever Knows their $hit TheColoKid's Avatar

Ball joint gone bad

I'm getting this horrendous sound from the passenger side when I go over small to medium sized bumps in the road.

Kind of like cracking and popping ... is that a ball joint gone bad?
    1984 / mildly built 355ci / stock 750 CFM q-jet / built 700r4 / NP208 / 6" Deavers / Dana 44 with locking hubs + GM 12 bolt rear / 4:56's with Eaton out back / 33x14.5r15 SSR's

http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1624&dateline=1304910  312

It definitely could be, ball joints are known to make noise when they dry out of grease or when they are worn.
    You should jack up one side at a time and try to move the tire back and forth from top to bottom. If there is movement then a ball joint is bad and you can usually see it moving if you can peak around the corner of the tire while moving it.
    I have a full set of joints if you need some.

Shadetree Mechanic
    raise up your truck and look for play in the ball joints..dont want to be driving around with bad ball joints that for sure.. maybe your shocks?

Unofficial Diesel Guru Senior member Koots's Avatar
    My guess is you are hearing a worn out or loose wheel bearing, more so than a balljoint, but either is a possibility.

I brought my K5 in to get an alignment and figured id get them to replace all the balljoints and axle joints. They told me the old joints were still within spec, but i had a loose and worn wheel bearing. I had them replace the balljoints anyway and replaced the wheel bearings myself (getting idiots to do it only makes it cost a shit ton more).

Point is, it might be a simpler and quicker fix
    1983 GMC Jimmy

1969 - 1991 forever Knows their $hit TheColoKid's Avatar
    Thanks a million for the replies guys. I will check it out sometime around September 1st ... leaving town here in about an hour.

Too many things to do!!!
    1984 / mildly built 355ci / stock 750 CFM q-jet / built 700r4 / NP208 / 6" Deavers / Dana 44 with locking hubs + GM 12 bolt rear / 4:56's with Eaton out back / 33x14.5r15 SSR's

http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1624&dateline=1304910  312

Yeah Koots is right, it could be a bearing also. Either way you test it the same way grabbing the top and bottom of the tire while it's off the ground and check for play. If you can see play in either of the ball joints, there you go. If you see no play in the ball joints then it is most likely a wheel bearing.